ALMOND AND RASPBERRY PAVLOVA
Preparation time – 20 minutes
Baking time – 1¼ hours
Serves 8 – 10
8 large free-range egg whites, at room temperature
pinch of salt
400g caster sugar
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon cornflour, sifted
600ml thickened cream
1 tablespoon icing sugar
125g punnet raspberries
160g (1 cup) LUCKY OVEN ROASTED ALMONDS, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 120C (100C fan forced). Line 2 oven trays with baking paper. Draw a 24cm circle on each tray and turn paper over.
2. Whisk the egg whites in a large bowl with a pinch of salt using an electric stand mixer, until soft peaks form. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until fully incorporated and the mixture forms glossy and firm peaks. This will take around 10 minutes.
3. Gently fold in the vinegar, then the cornflour, through the meringue.
4. Divide mixture between 2 circles and spread within the drawn lines. Bake for 1¼ hours. Turn off the oven and leave door ajar until completely cool.
5. Meanwhile, use an electric beater to whisk together the cream and icing sugar in a medium bowl until soft peaks form.
6. Place 1 meringue disc on serving plate. Spread with ½ the cream mixture. Top with remaining meringue disc. Decorate top of meringue with cream, raspberries and almonds.
For best results, use scales to weigh 400g of caster sugar – to ensure the accuracy of measurement.