ALMOND MACARONS WITH PEPPERMINT WHITE CHOCOLATE FILLING
Makes about 45 filled macarons.
125g (1¼ cups) Lucky Almond Meal
150g (1¼ cups) pure icing sugar, sifted
3 egg whites
2 tbsp caster sugar
White Chocolate Ganache Filling
100g quality white chocolate, chopped
60ml (¼ cup) thickened cream
¼ tsp peppermint essence
- Preheat fan-forced oven to 150°C. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Place Lucky Almond Meal and icing sugar in a bowl and mix to combine well.
- Whisk egg whites in a large bowl using an electric mixer, until soft peaks form. With the motor running continuously, add caster sugar a tbsp at a time, whisking until firm peaks form and the mixture is glossy.
- Using a spatula, gently fold in the almond mixture to combine well.
- Spoon mixture into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm plain nozzle, or alternatively use two teaspoons. Pipe or spoon 2.5cm diameter rounds of mixture onto prepared trays, about 3cm apart. Leave for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until macarons are crisp on the outside. Turn oven off and place a wooden spoon handle between the oven and door, leaving slightly ajar. Cool completely in the oven.
- To make the chocolate filling, place chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Heat cream in a small saucepan over a medium heat, until just simmering. Remove from heat and pour over the chocolate. Stir until chocolate is melted. Stir in the peppermint essence. Cover surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 30 minutes until the ganache is a spreadable consistency.
- To fill macarons, spread the base of half the macarons with chocolate ganache and sandwich together with remaining macarons.
Macarons will keep in an airtight container for up to a week. Filled macarons are best stored in an airtight container and eaten within 2 days.