3 x 60g egg whites
⅓ cup caster sugar
⅔ cup plain flour, sifted
½ cup (firmly packed) Lucky Natural Almonds
¼ cup sliced cooking ginger or halved red cherries (optional)
- Preheat fan-forced oven to 180ºC.
- Oil a 25cm x 7cm loaf pan and line base with baking paper.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. Gradually beat in sugar to make a glossy, smooth meringue.
- Fold in flour, almonds and ginger or cherries if used. Pour into prepared pan, smooth over top with spatula.
- Bake 30-35 minutes until golden brown and firm to touch.
- Cool on rack. When completely cold, cut into 5mm thick slices using a sharp serrated knife.
- Lay on trays or drape over “crunched” tissues to make wafers curve slightly. Bake at 140ºC further 15-20 minutes turning slices half way, until pale brown.
- Store in airtight container.
Serve with coffee, whipped sweetened cream and berries, ice cream or fruit desserts.