CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT SPONGE SQUARES
4 egg whites
110g (½ cup) caster sugar
150g (1½ cups) Lucky Hazelnut Meal
1 tbsp maize cornflour
60g quality dark chocolate
60g unsalted butter, softened
2 tbsp caster sugar
2 egg yolks
½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat fan-forced oven to 160°C. Grease an 18cm square cake tin and line base and sides with baking paper.
- Whisk egg whites with an electric mixer, until soft peaks form. With machine still running, gradually add the sugar and whisk until stiff glossy peaks form.
- Combine the hazelnut meal and cornflour together. Gently fold half of the hazelnut mixture through the egg mixture, and then the remaining half, until all combined.
- Spoon mixture into prepared tin and spread evenly. Bake for 25 minutes.
- While sponge is baking, prepare the chocolate topping. Place chocolate in a small bowl sitting on a small saucepan half filled with water over a medium heat. Heat until chocolate has just melted and remove bowl from heat. In a medium bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until creamy, stir in the yolks to combine. Stir through the vanilla and melted chocolate.
- Working quickly, spoon the chocolate mixture over the surface of the hot hazelnut sponge and quickly spread evenly, it is not necessary to spread to edges. Return to oven and bake for 20 minutes or until topping is just firm.
- Set aside and cool completely in the tin. Remove paper and cake from tin and divide evenly and cut cake into 16 squares.
- Serve at room temperature.
Store in an airtight container in refrigerator for 3 days.