EGG CUSTARD TARTS
150g (1½ cups) LUCKY ALMOND MEAL
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp water
½ tsp sea salt
200g (1 cup) caster sugar
160ml (⅔ cup) water
1 tsp vanilla extract
310ml (1¼ cups) full cream milk
60g (½ cup) plain flour
6 egg yolks
1. Preheat fan-forced oven to 160°C.
2. To make tart shells, place all base ingredients into a bowl and combine until mixture forms a firm dough.
3. Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions and press each into a silicone muffin mould, ensuring the dough is even on the bottom and sides to create a tart case. Prick a fork into the bottom of the tart cases a couple of times then bake for 5-7 minutes. Set aside.
4. To make filling, in a saucepan on low heat, combine caster sugar, water and vanilla until melted. Once melted, increase heat to high and boil for 1 minute. Set aside.
5. In another saucepan, heat 1 cup of milk until frothy and hot, but not boiling. Set aside.
6. In a large bowl, mix flour and remaining ¼ cup of milk with a whisk until combined. Add hot milk to the mixture and carefully whisk until smooth and combined before adding sugar syrup to the bowl and whisk again. Pour whole mixture into a large saucepan and return to the stove on medium heat, whisking for 10 minutes, until thickened to pancake batter consistency.
7. Remove from heat and add egg yolks, whisking quickly until well combined. Carefully spoon custard into tart cases and bake for 35 minutes, or until the custard is browning on top.
8. Cool completely in muffin moulds before carefully turning out. Enjoy warm or cold.
Recipe by @frommylittlekitchen