FALAFEL WITH QUINOA SALAD
Makes 36 falafels
Preparation time – 20 minutes
Cooking time – 15 minutes
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic
2 x 400g cans chickpeas, drained
½ cup (65g) Lucky™ cashew or almond meal
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1 tablespoon tahini or peanut butter
1½ teaspoons ground cumin
½ teaspoon sriracha
1 cup finely chopped fresh parsley or mint
1 cup (140g) frozen peas, defrosted
Semolina, for dusting
Sriracha, to serve
- Heat a little oil in a pan and cook onion and garlic over low heat until soft.
- Combine onion mixture, chickpeas, cashew meal, chia, tahini, cumin, sriracha and egg. Process until just combined. Add the parsley and peas. Process a further 30 seconds. Cover and store in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Scoop tablespoons of mixture and shape into rough oval and flatten slightly. Can be made in advanced and stored in fridge or freezer until needed. Roll in semolina.
- Heat oil in a medium frying pan; shallow-fry falafels in batches, for about 5 minutes or until browned on both sides. Falafels will be crispy on the outside and tender inside. Drain on absorbent paper. Serve with quinoa salad, yoghurt and sriracha.
Quinoa with pistachios and parsley
Preparation time – 10 minutes
Cooking time – 12 minutes
1 cup (185g) quinoa, rinsed
1½ cups (375ml) water
1 bunch parsley, finely chopped
1 small beetroot, peeled and thinly sliced
60g x packet Lucky™ toasted pistachios
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Place the quinoa and water in a medium sized saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 12 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Set aside, covered, to steam for 10 minutes. Use a fork to fluff the grains.
- Add parsley, beetroot and pistachios. Combine lemon juice and olive oil and pour over salad.
MAKE IT YOUR WAY
Vegan Falafels – Omit egg and add an extra tablespoon of chia seeds. Pan fry carefully as a little more tender than traditional recipe
Broccoli Falafels – Replace frozen peas with 90g broccoli, roughly chopped. Add with other ingredients to food processor to create extra green falafels.