HAZELNUT CHOCOLATE CHRISTMAS TREES
125g unsalted butter, softened
125g (⅔ cup) brown sugar
1 large egg
60g (¼ cup) honey
300g (2 cups) plain flour
30g (¼ cup) Dutch cocoa
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp mixed spice
½ tsp ground cinnamon
75g (¾ cup) Lucky Hazelnut Meal
150g (1¼ cups) pure icing sugar
1 egg white
½ tsp lemon juice
2 tbsp Lucky Hazelnut Meal, for sprinkling
45g (¼ cup) Lucky Natural Pistachios, coarsely chopped
1. To oven roast nuts, heat fan forced oven to 130°C. Spread almonds evenly on a baking tray. Bake for 5 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove from oven and cool on tray.
2. Combine the almonds, pistachios, cranberries, cinnamon and liqueur in a small bowl. Set aside to soak for a minimum of 15 minutes to overnight. If not using liqueur, bypass this soaking step.
3. Transfer the ice cream to a large mixing bowl and set aside to soften for 10 minutes at room temperature. Gently fold the fruit and nut mixture through the ice cream.
4. Working quickly, spoon the ice cream mixture into twelve 150ml, or eight 200ml moulds. Smooth the surface evenly with the back of a knife. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for 3 hours or until firm.
5. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Wrap a hot damp tea towel around the moulds to loosen the ice cream and invert onto the lined tray. Place the tray in the freezer for 15 minutes or until completely set.
6. Heat a saucepan of water over a medium heat, place a heatproof bowl on top and fill with chocolate. Make sure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Stir until the chocolate is melted. Stir in the oil. Remove the bowl from the heat.
7. Using a wide spatula transfer the ice creams onto individual serving plates. Drizzle melted chocolate over the tops and sprinkle with roasted almonds and pistachios. Serve immediately.
• For the moulds, use metal dariole cups, ramekins or teacups.