125g (1¼ cups) LUCKY HAZELNUT MEAL
150g (1¼ cups) pure icing sugar, sifted
3 egg whites
2 tablespoons caster sugar
Chocolate ganache filling
100g dark chocolate (54% cocoa solids), chopped
1. Preheat fan-forced oven to 135°C. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
2. Place hazelnut meal and icing sugar in a bowl and mix to combine well.
3. Whisk egg whites in a large bowl, using electric mixer, until soft peaks form. With motor running continuously, add caster sugar a tablespoon at a time and beat until firm peaks form and mixture is glossy. Using a spatula, gently fold in hazelnut mixture to combine well.
4. Spoon mixture into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm plain nozzle. Pipe 2.5cm diameter rounds of mixture onto prepared trays, about 3cm apart. Leave for 30 minutes at room temperature. Bake for 15 minutes, swapping trays halfway during cooking time, until macarons are crisp on the outside. Turn oven off and place a wooden spoon handle between oven door, leaving slightly ajar. Cool completely in the oven.
5. To make chocolate filling, place chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Heat cream in a small saucepan over medium heat, until just simmering. Remove from heat and pour over the chocolate. Stir until chocolate is melted. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 30 minutes until the ganache is a spreadable consistency.
6. To fill macarons, spread the bases of half the macarons with chocolate ganache and sandwich together with remaining macarons.