HAZELNUT AND ORANGE SHORTBREAD
160g unsalted butter, softened
70g (⅓ cup) caster sugar
240g (2 cups) plain flour
60g (1/2 cup) LUCKY HAZELNUT MEAL
1 Orange, peel finely grated
150g (1¼ cups) pure icing sugar
1 egg white
¼ teaspoon lemon juice
1. Preheat fan-forced oven to 160°C. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
2. To make biscuits, cream butter and sugar in a stand mixer or by hand until they are light and fluffy, before adding the flour, hazelnut meal and orange rind and mix until just combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix until it forms a dough.
3. Shape the dough into a thick disc, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
4. Roll the dough out between two sheets of baking paper until 8mm thick. Cut out shapes using a shaped cookie cutter and transfer to lined trays. Shape the remaining dough into a ball and roll out again, repeating the process until all the dough is used, before placing trays in refrigerator for 20 minutes.
5. Bake biscuits for 10-12 minutes until lightly golden around the edges. Remove from oven and cool completely.
6. To make royal icing, sift sugar into a bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites until soft and foamy. Continuously whisking, add lemon juice, then add a little icing sugar at a time until it’s all incorporated. Add desired food colouring and beat until the mixture forms soft peaks.
7. Spoon mixture into a piping bag and decorate the cooled biscuits.