ITALIAN CHRISTMAS ALMOND & CHERRY BISCOTTI
165g (¾ cup) caster sugar
40ml olive oil
250ml (1 cup) Rosso Antico (or other sweet red wine)
900g (6 cups) self-raising flour
800g (5½ cups) Lucky Natural Almonds, roughly chopped
500g (2 cups) glacé cherries, halved
1. Preheat fan-forced oven to 160°C.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy, approximately 3 minutes. Add the olive oil and Rosso Antico, and mix until well combined.
3. In a separate, very large bowl, combine the flour, almonds and cherries well, ensuring all the almonds and cherries are well coated in the flour. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture. Place the wet ingredients in the well.
4. Using your hands, mix the mixture together well until it has all combined. The dough will feel slightly wet to touch. Tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and form the mixture into a slightly flattened round shape. Using a knife, cut the mixture into quarters.
5. On a lightly floured surface, roll each quarter into a long log, approximately 30cm in length and 6cm in width. Place the logs onto a lined baking tray. Bake in the oven for approximately 25-30 minutes, or until lightly browned.
6. Remove the logs from the oven and allow them to cool completely. Reduce the oven temperature to 100°C.
7. Using a serrated knife, cut the logs into evenly sliced biscotti, approximately 1cm in width. Place the biscotti onto baking trays, standing upright, and cook for a further 2 hours. Remove and allow to cool completely. The biscotti should be dried and hard once cooled.
Recipe by @sydneyfoodsisters