PEAR AND MACADAMIA TART
225g (1½ cups) plain flour
½ tsp salt
1 tbsp caster sugar
125g unsalted butter, chilled and diced
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp cold water
3 large eggs
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp honey
½ tsp finely grated orange zest
125ml (½ cup) thickened cream
100g (1 cup) Lucky Natural Macadamias (chopped or diced)
2 large pears
- Preheat fan-forced oven to 160°C.
- To make the pastry, place the flour, salt, sugar and butter in a food processor and blend until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add the egg and yolk and pulse to combine. Add the water and blend for 30 seconds. Bring mixture together to form a dough. Shape into a 2cm thick disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll dough out in between two sheets of baking paper to about 3mm thickness. Line a 23cm tart mould with a removable base with the pastry. Trim edges. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile to prepare the filling, place the eggs, sugar, honey, zest and cream in a bowl and whisk to combine well. Stir in the macadamias. Peel the pears. Cut into quarters and remove the core. Cut each quarter into thin slices.
- Bake the tart shell for 15 minutes. Arrange the pear slices in a single layer over the base of the pastry shell. Pour in the filling mixture, making sure the nuts are evenly distributed. Return to the oven and bake for 40 minutes or until set and golden.
- Place on a wire rack and leave to cool completely. Remove the outside ring. Serve at room temperature, cut into wedges.