PISTACHIO, ALMOND AND CHOCOLATE TORTE
Serves 8 – 10
Preparation time – 15 minutes
Baking time – 1 hour
1x 60g pack Lucky™ Diced Pistachios
1 x 110g pack Lucky™ Australian Toasted Slivered Almonds
200g pitted fresh dates, roughly chopped
150g dark chocolate, finely chopped
6 egg whites, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (220g) caster sugar
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup thickened cream
200g dark chocolate, finely chopped
Lucky™ Diced Pistachios, for garnish
Lucky™ Australian Natural Sliced Almonds, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Line the base of a 24cm springform pan with baking paper and lightly grease the sides.
- Combine pistachios, almonds, dates and chocolate in a large bowl.
- Use electric beaters to whisk the egg whites and salt in a large mixing bowl until soft peaks form. Add caster sugar a spoonful at a time, whisking after each addition until combined. Whisk for a further 2 minutes or until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is thick and glossy. Sift cocoa and cinnamon over meringue and gently fold through.
- Use a large metal spoon to fold the almond, pistachio mixture through the egg white mix. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes. Turn the oven off, leave the door slightly ajar and cool for 30 minutes.
- Ganache – Heat cream in a small saucepan over a medium heat until bubbles appear around the edge of the saucepan. Remove from heat, add chocolate, and stir until smooth. Cool for 5 minutes then drizzle over top of torte. Garnish with pistachio and sliced almonds.
TIP: This torte can be made a day in advance and stored in an airtight container.