4 eggs, separated
55g (¼ cup) caster sugar
500ml (2 cups) thickened cream
finely grated rind of a lemon
55g (½ cup) Lucky Flaked Almonds
55g (⅓ cup) Lucky Natural Pistachios
60g (½ cup) Lucky Natural Hazelnuts
330g (1½ cups) caster sugar
125ml (½ cup) water
- Preheat fan-forced oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Spread the nuts over another baking tray and bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and give them a light toss and cook for a further 2 minutes or until a light golden brown. Remove tray from the oven and transfer to the prepared lined tray and spread the nuts out evenly.
- To make praline, place sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat and stir to dissolve. Stop stirring and cook until a dark golden colour (this takes about 12-15 minutes), watching constantly. Remove from heat immediately and carefully pour over the nuts to spread evenly. Set aside for about 30 minutes to cool and harden.
- Break the praline roughly into 5cm pieces. Place two thirds into a food processor and blend until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Set aside the crushed praline and reserve the broken shards.
- To make the semifreddo, use an electric mixer and whisk the yolks and sugar in a large bowl, until the mixture is pale, creamy and thick. This takes about 5 minutes.
- In another bowl whisk the cream until soft peaks form. In another bowl, whisk egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold the cream into the egg mixture and then gently fold in the lemon rind and three quarters of the crushed praline, then gently fold in the egg whites, to combine well. Spoon the mixture into a 1 litre capacity container. Freeze for four hours or until set.
- To serve, scoop semifreddo into bowls and sprinkle with the remaining crushed praline and shards to decorate.