RASPBERRY AND ALMOND FRIANDS
180g unsalted butter, melted
125g (1¼ cups) Lucky Almond Meal
75g (½ cup) plain flour
250g (2 cups) pure icing sugar
Finely grated zest of 2 oranges
6 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract
200g raspberries (fresh or frozen)
¼ cup Lucky Flaked Almonds
- Preheat fan-forced oven to 170°C. Brush 12 friand or muffin tin moulds generously with melted butter.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over a low heat. Continue to cook for about 5-8 minutes until it is a golden brown. Remove from the heat and cool for 10 minutes.
- Place almond meal in a large bowl. Sift together the flour and icing sugar over the almond meal. Add the orange zest and stir to combine.
- In a medium bowl whisk the egg whites until just frothy. Fold the egg whites into the almond mixture. Pour in the butter and vanilla and fold in, then add the raspberries to combine evenly. Spoon the mixture into the prepared moulds. Scatter the flaked almonds over the tops. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden and a skewer comes out clean when inserted. Rest in tin for 5 minutes, then run a knife gently around edges and turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- To serve, dust with icing sugar.
The friands will keep for 3 days in an airtight container in a cool place.