THREE NUT PANFORTE
Makes one 20cm round cake
light olive oil, for greasing cake tin
180g (1 cup) mixed glace fruits (choose from peach, fig, orange, pear or citron)
90g (¾ cup) Lucky Natural Hazelnuts
100g (¾ cup) Lucky Natural Macadamias
75g (⅔ cup) Lucky Slivered Almonds
50g (⅓ cup) plain flour
2 tbsp Dutch cocoa powder
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp mixed spice
90g (¼ cup) honey
80g (⅓ cup) caster sugar
icing sugar, for dusting Panforte
- Preheat fan-forced oven to 130°C. Brush a 20cm round spring form cake tin lightly with olive oil and line the base with baking paper.
- Combine the fruit and nuts in a large bowl. Sift the flour, cocoa and spices over the nut mixture. Stir to combine well.
- Combine honey and sugar in a small heavy based saucepan over a low to medium heat and stir to dissolve. Watching carefully, continue to cook without stirring until it reaches soft ball stage – see note below (115°C if using a sugar thermometer). Quickly remove from heat and pour over dry ingredients and stir to mix well. Transfer the mixture into prepared cake tin. Press down firmly to spread out evenly and flatten the surface.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Cool completely in the tin. The cake will firm up as it cools.
- Remove the cake from the tin. When ready to serve, dust the surface with icing sugar. Cut into thin slivers.
This cake will keep up to one month in an airtight container at room temperature.
Cook’s note: To test for soft ball stage, have a small bowl of iced water ready. Drop a little honey mixture into the bowl – it is ‘soft ball’ stage when it reaches a point where the mixture forms a squishy ball in between fingers.