TOFFEE NUT MERINGUES
80g dark chocolate chips
4 egg whites, room temperature
225g (1 cup) caster sugar
30g (⅓ cup) Lucky Almond Meal
430g (2 cups) caster sugar
110g (1 cup) Lucky Slivered Almonds
150g (1¼ cups) Lucky Natural Hazelnuts
Pinch or two of sea salt
600ml thickened cream, whipped
- Preheat fan-forced oven to 120°C. Heat a saucepan of water over a medium heat, place a heat proof bowl on top, and fill with chocolate. Make sure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Carefully stir until chocolate is all melted. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place egg whites into a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment. Whisk until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar in, ¼ cup at a time, whipping for 2-3 minutes in between each addition, until egg whites are stiff and glossy. Gently fold through almond meal with a spatula until just mixed in.
- Once chocolate has cooled slightly, drizzle it over the meringue. Use a spatula to carefully fold through, 2-3 times only. Spoon large tablespoons of meringue onto baking paper lined trays, shaping slightly into a circle, leaving plenty of space between each meringue. Bake meringues for 40-45 minutes until set but not coloured/browning. Turn oven off and leave door slightly ajar to cool for an hour. When the meringues have cooled, make your toffee.
- Place sugar and water into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 12-15 minutes until sugar mixture is dark golden. Do not stir toffee during this time. Remove from heat and carefully add nuts. Carefully pour toffee onto a large piece of baking paper on a tray to cool, smoothing out into an even layer. Sprinkle with sea salt. Let it cool on the bench or in the fridge until hard (an hour or so) then carefully break into shards.
- Serve meringues with a dollop of whipped cream and a couple of shards of toffee nuts. Keep any remaining meringues in airtight container is a cool, dry spot.
Recipe by @naturally_nutritious